Gluten free, from me to you!

Welcome!
My name is Laura Hill, I was diagnosed with celiac disease ten years ago. Like many others, it was like pulling teeth to get a diagnosis! When my doctor had performed numerous tests and prescribed a vareity of medication with no cure, I requested he test me for celiac disease by the recommendation of a friend and he refused. He told me I could not live the rest of my life without gluten. He also suggested I was making myself sick. I finally decided to seek a second opinion. The next doctor performed the blood work and the results came back confirmed celiac disease. Starting the gluten free diet totally changed my life. The condition I was in before the diagnosis was scary, without the gluten free diet I am not sure I would be here today! From my experience with celiac disease over the years, I have a desire to help others with the condition.

It can be daunting starting the diet and changing over to the gluten free lifestyle. This inspired me to become a dietitian, in order to help those make dietary changes. I just graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and I am currently a dietetic intern. I enjoy researching celiac disease, recipes, and the correlation between diet and disease. In this blog I want to share recipes and general information to help you navigate the gluten free diet, in the gluten filled world.


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sandwich Petals

Gluten Free Sandwich Petals
Flat breads and wraps are all the rage on restaurant menus and cafes. Usually these wraps are off limits for gluten free individuals. Sandwich Petals have made it possible to enjoy healthy wraps again. Corn tortillas are naturally gluten free but they are often dry and break easily. Sandwich petals are made from 10 gluten free whole grains making them not only tasty but nutritious. They come in three flavors Agave Grain, Chimayo Red Chile, and Spinach Garlic. 
 I have used the Agave Grain, warmed in the microwave, spread with peanut butter, sprinkled with raisins, cinnamon and sliced banana for a filling breakfast.
The Spinach Garlic has been the star of my daily lunch box, I usually spread the wrap with hummus and top with applegate farms turkey, avocado, lettuce, and tomatoes. The wrap holds all those hearty ingredients without cracking and is not soggy by lunch time!
I haven't open the Chimayo Red Chile flavor yet, but I am sure they will be just as great as the other two.
These wraps could be used as a thin pizza crust, breakfast burritos, tacos, enchiladas, or various other ways.. Can't wait to experiment more. You can order the tortillas from http://www.sandwichpetals.com/ for $25 for 36 tortillas this also includes shipping. These would be a great addition to your lunch or your child's gluten free lunchbox.

Sandwich Petals Perks:

  •  21-22g of low glycemic carbs

  • Omega 3's

  • Prebiotics

  • High fiber

  • Slow digesting

  • Dairy, egg, peanut, wheat, and animal product free






No comments:

Post a Comment