Gluten free, from me to you!

Welcome!
My name is Laura Hill, I was diagnosed with celiac disease ten years ago. Like many others, it was like pulling teeth to get a diagnosis! When my doctor had performed numerous tests and prescribed a vareity of medication with no cure, I requested he test me for celiac disease by the recommendation of a friend and he refused. He told me I could not live the rest of my life without gluten. He also suggested I was making myself sick. I finally decided to seek a second opinion. The next doctor performed the blood work and the results came back confirmed celiac disease. Starting the gluten free diet totally changed my life. The condition I was in before the diagnosis was scary, without the gluten free diet I am not sure I would be here today! From my experience with celiac disease over the years, I have a desire to help others with the condition.

It can be daunting starting the diet and changing over to the gluten free lifestyle. This inspired me to become a dietitian, in order to help those make dietary changes. I just graduated with a B.S. in Nutrition and I am currently a dietetic intern. I enjoy researching celiac disease, recipes, and the correlation between diet and disease. In this blog I want to share recipes and general information to help you navigate the gluten free diet, in the gluten filled world.


Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I am willing to bet you have the ingredients in your pantry right now just waiting to become delicious  peanut butter cookies! These cookies are easy, loved by the celiac and non-celiac, and an inexpensive dessert! Every time I take these somewhere, I am instantly asked for the recipe. I want to experiment in the future to see how almond butter with dark chocolate chips would be in this recipe.

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350, line baking sheet with aluminum foil, mix the all the ingredients above, and drop by rounded teaspoon onto prepared pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Yield: 18-20 cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment